Vascular Anesthesia, 2nd Edition
By Joel A. Kaplan, MD, Carol L. Lake, MD, MPH, MBA and Michael J Murray, MD, PhD, FCCM, FCCP
Approx. 448 pages, Approx. 100 illustrations, Copyright 2004
This comprehensive text delivers cutting-edge scientific knowledge and expert clinical guidance on anesthesia for the vascular surgical patient or the patient with cardiac disease undergoing major noncardiac surgery. It covers cardiovascular anatomy, physiology, and pharmacology; preoperative assessment and management, specific perioperative considerations, and postoperative management. This 2nd Edition features eight completely rewritten chapters and six new chapters. Extensive updates throughout reflect all the new procedures, drugs, techniques, and monitoring modalities that have emerged over the last decade.
With 20 additional contributors.
Delivers cutting-edge scientific knowledge that serves as a basis for clinical practice.
Provides comprehensive coverage of anesthesia, including cardiovascular anatomy, physiology, and pharmacology
preoperative assessment and management
specific perioperative considerations
and postoperative management.
Integrates recent developments from the fields of anesthesiology, cardiology, cardiovascular pharmacology, vascular surgery, and critical care medicine to present a complete clinical picture
New to this Edition
Offers fresh perspectives from many new contributors who are leaders in their fields.
Explores all the new procedures, drugs, techniques, and monitoring modalities that have emerged over the last decade.
Devotes more coverage to regional anesthesia or combined regional and general anesthesia for modification of stress responses, improved pain control, better wound healing, and control of inflammatory/immunomodulatory changes associated with surgery.
Places increased emphasis on the physiology, diseases, and surgery of the peripheral vasculature throughout, including a new chapter on The Peripheral Circulation in Patients with Vascular Disease (Chapter 1).
Includes a new chapter on Imaging of the Vasculature(Chapter 2), that is completely up to date and easy to read.
Covers anesthesia and perioperative care for all of the latest procedures, including new information on minimally invasive techniques and new chapters on Interventional Vascular Radiologic Procedures (Chapter 4) and Choice of Invasive vs. Noninvasive Surgery (Chapter 7).
Features expanded material on postoperative care, especially on new techniques for pain management, and includes new chapters on Respiratory Complications and Management (Chapter 18) and Ethical Decisions/End of Life Care in Patients with Vascular Disease (Chapter 20).
Table of Contents
I. Cardiovascular Anatomy, Physiology, and Pharmacology
1. The Peripheral Circulation in Patients with Vascular Disease*
2. Pharmacologic Treatment of Hypertension, Heart Failure, and Ischemic Heart Disease
II. Preoperative Assessment and Management
3. Imaging of the Vasculature*
4. Interventional Vascular Radiologic Procedures*
5. Cardiac Risk Assessment
6. Optimization of the Patient for Vascular Surgery (Including Premedication)
7. Choice of Invasive vs. Noninvasive Surgery*
III. Specific Perioperative Considerations
8. Cardiovascular Monitoring
9. Anesthetic Techniques for Major Vascular Surgery
10. Carotid Artery Surgery
11. Surgery for the Thoracic and Abdominal Area
12. Peripheral Vascular Surgery (Arteries and Veins)
13. Liver Transplantation
14. Renal Transplantation and Protection of the Kidneys during Vascular Surgery
15. Hematologic Considerations in Vascular Surgery
IV. Postoperative Management
16. Complications of Vascular Surgery and Management
17. Postoperative Cardiovascular Low Output Syndrome and Sepsis
18. Respiratory Complications and Management*
19. Pain Management after Vascular Surgery
20. Ethical Decisions/End of Life Care in Patients with Vascular Disease*
* New Chapters