Practical Rheumatology, 3rd Edition
By Marc C. Hochberg, MD, MPH, Alan J. Silman, MD, Josef S. Smolen, MD, Michael E. Weinblatt, MD and Michael H. Weisman, MD
688 pp., Copyright 2004
This practical resource distills all of the evidence-based clinical information on the presentations, diagnosis, and management of common musculoskeletal disorders from the parent text, Hochberg’s: Rheumatology 3rd Edition. It provides an understanding of those rarer disorders for differential diagnosis as well as guidelines for referring patients to a specialist. With an emphasis on signs, symptoms, and lab tests, this 3rd Edition establishes principles of 'pattern recognition' essential to an accurate diagnosis.
Discusses common signs and symptoms, evaluation, and pattern recognition • presentations of regional disorders and widespread pain • infection related rheumatic disorders • connective disorders • osteoarthritis • crystal diseases • reactive arthritis • and more.
Encapsulates the key clinical, diagnostic, and therapeutic problems for the non-specialist.
Features the expertise of more than 50 international experts.
Provides step-by-step pictorial guidance on joint examination and injection techniques for common problems.
Includes summaries, algorithms, and full-color illustrations that aid in diagnosis and treatment.
New to this Edition
Features a new trans-Atlantic editorial team as well as many new contributors.
Provides new sections on principles of management, including NSAIDS, Systemic corticosteroids, and alternative and complimentary medicine • pediatric rheumatology • and metabolic bone disease.
Includes an introductory overview of the scientific basis of rheumatic disease.
Table of Contents
SECTION 1: THE SCIENTIFIC BASIS OF RHEUMATIC DISEASE
1. Principles of Adaptive Immunology 2. Inflammation
SECTION 2: EVALUATION, SIGNS, AND SYMPTOMS
3. History and Physical Examination 4. Pattern Recognition in Arthritis 5. Laboratory Tests in Rheumatic Disorders 6. Aspiration and Injection of Joints and Periarticular Tissues 7. Skin and Rheumatic Disease
SECTION 3: PRINCIPLES OF MANAGEMENT
8. Principles of Management of Patients with Rheumatic Disease 9. Principles of Pain and Pain Management 10. Non Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs 11. Systemic Corticosteroids in Rheumatology 12. Complementary and Alternative Medicine
SECTION 4: REGIONAL AND WIDESPREAD PAIN
13. Neck Pain 14. Lower Back and Lumbar Spine Stenosis 15. The Shoulder 16. The Elbow 17. The Wrist and Hand 18. The Hip 19. The Knee 20. Fibromyaglia and Related Syndromes 21. Sports Medicine: The Clinical Spectrum of Injury
SECTION 5: RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS AND OTHER SYNOVIAL DISORDERS
22. Clinical Features of Rheumatoid Arthritis 23. Evaluation and Management of Early Inflammatory Polyarthritis 24. Management of Rheumatoid Arthritis: Synovitis
SECTION 6:PEDIATRIC RHEUMATOLOGY
25. Evaluation of Musculoskeletal Complaints in Children
SECTION 7: INFECTION-RELATED RHEUMATIC DISORDERS
26. Septic Arthritis and Osteomyelitis 27. Lyme Disease
SECTION 8: SPONDYLOARTHROPATHIES
28. Clinical Features of Ankylosing Spondylitis 29. Ankylosing Spondylitis: Management 30. Reactive Arthritis: Clinical Features and Treatment 31. Psoriatic Arthritis: Clinical Features 32. Psoriatic Arthritis: Management
SECTION 9: CONNECTIVE TISSUE DISORDERS
Systemic Lupus Erythematosus 33. Clinical Features 34. Treatment of constitutional Symptoms, cardiopulmonary, hematologic and central nervous manifestations SYSTEMIC SCLEROSIS 35. Clinical Features of Systemic Sclerosis 36. Raynaud’s Phenomenon INFLAMMATORY MUSCLE DISEASE 37. Inflammatory Disease: Clinical Features
SECTION 10: THE VASCULITIDES
38. Polymyalgia Rheumatica and Giant Cell Arteritis Inflammatory Disease
SECTION 11: OSTEOARTHRITIS AND RELATED DISORDERS
39. Clinical Features 40. Management of Limb Joint Osteoarthritis
SECTION 12: CRYSTAL-RELATED ARTHROPATHIES
41. Clinical Features of Gout 42. The Management of Gout 43. Calcium pyrophosphate dihydrate crystal deposition disease
SECTION 13: METABOLIC BONE DISORDERS
44. Osteoporosis: Clinical Features 45. Management of Osteoporosis 46. Glucocorticoid-induced Arthritis