Textbook Of Family Practice 6e
Robert E. Rakel, MD , Chairman, Department of Family Medicine, Associate Dean for Academic and Clinical Affairs, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX.
With 130 additional contributors.
ISBN 0721680011 · Hardback · 1695 Pages · 305 Illustrations
W.B. Saunders · Published October 2001
over 25 years, this trusted reference has guided physicians through every aspect of their practice, offering advice that has encouraged excellence, strengthened careers, and broadened patient bases.
Thoroughly updated and streamlined, the new, 6th Edition brings you
brand-new chapters on...
* Clinical Guidelines
* Evidence-Based Health Care
* Practice-Based Research
* Mind-Body Medicine
...plus a multitude of other meticulous revisions to reflect the latest approaches and findings!
"A classic." - American Family Physician
"This is probably one of the few 'big books' all family physicians should own." - American Family Physician
"Keeps current with recent medical advances." - JAMA
"A treasure trove of information." - Archives of Family Medicine
TEXTBOOK OF FAMILY PRACTICE, 6th Edition
helps you to more effectively...
...evaluate and treat the problems you encounter! - 67 chapters bring you the latest and best on infectious diseases, office gynecology, orthopaedics, dermatology, endocrinology, psychiatric problems and more!
...recognize conditions before symptoms create an identifiable pattern.
...know what to handle, what to refer ! Each clinical chapter pairs a subspecialist with a family physician to give you a complete and balanced perspective.
You'll be better able to anticipate and meet patient needs...and to oversee the case when other health care professionals' services are required.
...develop the most rewarding relationship with your patient ! Practical discussions explain how to establish a rapport ...detect, prevent, and deal with poor compliance and interview and educate patients more effectively
...help patients with suspected substance abuse problems - including nicotine addiction.
...find clinical information fast ! Concise coverage allows you to reference, review, and act on expert advice quickly and easily.
Principles of Family Practice
1. The Family Physician
2. The Family Genogram: Standard Genogram Structure * Reading and Interpreting Genograms
3. The Family's Influence on Health
4. Psychosocial Influences on Health
5. Mind-Body Medicine
6. Practicing Biopsychosocial Medicine
7. Domestic Violence: Elder Abuse * Partner Abuse * Child Abuse * Sexual Assault
8. Care of the Elderly
9. Care of the Dying Patient
10. Ethics in Family Practice
Family Medicine in the Community
11. The Periodic Health Examination
12. Preventive Health Care
13. Practice-Based Research
14. Evidence-Based Medicine
Communication in Family Medicine
15. Establishing Rapport
16. Patient Education
17. Interviewing Techniques
Practice of Family Medicine
18. Clinical Problem Solving
19. Infectious Diseases
20. Care of the Adult HIV-Infected Patient
21. Pulmonary Medicine
25. Travel Medicine
27. Care of the Newborn
28. Growth and Development
29. Childhood and Adolescence
30. Behavioral Problems in Children and Adolescents
31. Office Surgery
34. Interpretation of the Electrocardiogram
36. Cardiovascular Disease
37. Emergency Medicine: Introduction * Trauma * Thermal and Environmental Injuries * Poisoning * Bites and Stings
38. Sports Medicine
40. Rheumatology and Musculoskeletal Problems
43. Nutrition and Family Medicine
44. Gastrointestinal Disorders
47. Urinary Tract Disorders
50. Sexuality in Family Medicine
51. Clinical Genetics
52. Anxiety Disorders
54. Crisis, Trauma, and Disaster Intervention
55. Office Evaluation and Management of Personality Disorders
56. Somatic Patient
58. Alcohol Abuse
59. Nicotine Addiction
60. Abuse of Controlled Substances
61. Interpreting Laboratory Tests
Management of the Practice
62. The Problem-Oriented Medical Record
63. Managed Health Care: Practicing Effectively in the 21st Century
64. Clinical Guidelines
65. Accounting Systems
66. Clinical Informatics in Office Practice
67. Risk Management