Thompson & Thompson Genetics in Medicine, Revised Reprint, 6th Edition
By Robert L. Nussbaum, MD, Roderick R. McInnes, MD, PhD, FRS(C) and Huntington F. Willard, PhD
540 pages 291 ills
Trim size 8 1/2 X 10 7/8 in
For 35 years, Thompson and Thompson Genetics in Medicine has been a favorite genetics textbook for medical students. This long-awaited sixth edition, now in a revised re-print, continues to provide a readable and understandable review of the basic principles of medical genetics, including recent advances in molecular genetics and the clinical applications of this new knowledge for the diagnosis and management of genetic disorders. Now brought completely up to date, this edition has been extensively revised and includes new information on developmental defects, genetics of complex diseases, genetics of cancer, molecular and biochemical basis of genetics, and the human genome project. It also features an all-new set of 29 clinical cases with color photographs to assist students in relating basic genetics to clinical genetic disease. These cases will also help instructors integrate clinical material into their courses. The revised re-print brings this book up to date with all new findings in medical genetics and some additional case studies.
The most up-to-date and authoritative discussion of the basic principles of medical genetics.
Continues to be the most readable and accessible text of its kind on the market.
Unprecedented clinical coverage
New to this Edition
"Clinical Cases" covers 29 of the most commonly seen genetic disorders, with summaries of the key features, causes, and management -- complete with color illustrations.
New information on genetic aspects of development, genetics of complex diseases, genetics of cancer, and molecular and biochemical basis of genetics.
Up-to-date details on the human genome project.
Extensive updates on every aspect of medical genetics.
Table of Contents
2. Chromosomal Basis of Heredity
3. Structure and Function of Chromosomes and Genes
4. Tools of Human Molecular Genetics
5. Patterns of Single-gene Inheritance
6. Genetic Variation in Individuals: Mutation and Polymorphism
7. Genes in Population
8. Gene Mapping
9. Clinical Cytogenetics
10. Sex Chromosomes and Their Abnormalities
11. The Molecular and Biochemical Basis of Genetic Disease: Hemoglobinopathies
12. Molecular and Biochemical Basis of Genetic Disease
13. The Treatment of Genetic Disease
14. The Immune System
15. Genetics of Disorders with Multifactorial Inheritance
16. Genetics of Cancer
17. Genetic Aspects of Development
18. Clinical Genetics
19. Genetic Counseling and Risk Assessment
20. Genetics and Society